Simona Halep has been suspended since October after testing positive for Roxadusat at last year’s US Open. The former Wimbledon champion insisted last fall that she had “never knowingly taken any banned substance”; Halep says she is a victim of pollution
21:48, UK, Friday 19 May 2023
Two-time Grand Slam champion Simona Halep has been charged with a second doping offense due to an “irregularity in her Athlete Biological Passport”.
The former world No. 1 and Wimbledon champion has been provisionally suspended since October last year after testing positive for the blood-thinning drug Roxadusat at the 2022 US Open.
Last month, Halep criticized the delay in her case, but the International Tennis Federation (ITIA) said on Friday that the Romanian had “another and separate violation of the tennis anti-doping program” after an independent biological evaluation of her athlete. Accused. passport
Nicole Sapstad, senior director of anti-doping at the ITIA, said in a statement: “We recognize that this announcement adds complexity to an already high-profile situation.
“Since the beginning of this process – and indeed any other at ITIA – we have been committed to engaging with Ms Help in a sympathetic, effective and timely manner.
“Of course we appreciate that there is a lot of media interest in these cases.
“It would be inappropriate for us to comment on the details until the process is concluded, but we will continue to engage with the Independent Court of Arbitration for Sport and Ms Halep’s representatives as quickly as possible.”
Speaking in April, Halep said: “I have been provisionally suspended for eight months even though I sent all the evidence of my contamination to the ITF last December.
“I am not asking for any special treatment, but to be able to be judged by the court. I feel it is unfair. How long will this last?”
“I will fight to the end to prove that I have never knowingly taken any banned substance and I believe that sooner or later the truth will come out,” she said last October.
Sky Sports News Simona Help representatives have been contacted for comment.
Help: Worst nightmare of my life ‘I am a victim of pollution’
In response to Friday’s findings, Helpline released the following statement via its social media channels:
“Since October 7, when I was accused of doping by the ITIA, I have had the worst nightmare of my life.
“Not only has my name been tarnished in the worst possible way, but I am facing a firm determination by the ITIA for a reason that I cannot prove my guilt, even though I never even thought of buying illegal substances. done
“I have tried twice to get an opportunity to be judged by an independent tribunal, and ITIA has consistently found reasons to delay.
“Now that we have clearly established that I am a victim of contamination, they have subjected my blood to an unusual evolution. The three world-renowned experts who have studied my blood have made it very clear that my blood is completely is normal
“I have been subjected to such harassment and encouragement on their behalf to prove that I am guilty of something I have never done. Again, I have been totally against any kind of fraud my whole life. It is my values. Does not match.
“The only thing I hope for, at this point, is the possibility of finally having access to independent and impartial judges in court, which will give me the opportunity to prove my innocence.
“I have full faith in justice and I look forward to finally presenting my case at my hearing scheduled for the end of May after several delays by ITIA.
“The support of my fans, the tennis world and my fans gave me the courage to keep practicing every day and fight for what’s right. I can’t thank you enough for that. Love, Simona.”